WHEN IT comes to preparing simple nutritious meals, once in a while–often out of financial necessity–one must improvise with what is available. If ordering out or going to the store is not an option, this 2-minute recipe may come in handy if you are ever in a pinch.
The ingredients for Recession Pizza are:
1 Rice Cake*
2 Tablespoons of Salsa or Pasta Sauce
1-2 Slices of Cheese
* If you wish, you may substitute 1/2 of an English Muffin. Whether you choose the top of the muffin or the bottom is entirely up to you.
Here’s how to prepare Recession Pizza:
1. Place your rice cake on a flat surface
2. Add salsa or pasta sauce
3 Cover with cheese
3a. TIP: Turn up the corners of the cheese so they don’t melt over the edges and make a mess
(Being the sensible person I know you are, you’d probably do this anyway.)
4. Place in Microwave oven and set timer for 45 seconds
5. Press the Start button
6. Do something else for 45 seconds. If you can’t drum up something to do for 45 seconds you can watch this
7. Voila! You now have one helping of Recession Pizza!
(NOTE: The rice cake make get soggy in the middle but should remain relatively crunchy along the perimeter)
This meal is cheap, easy to make, and best of all, 99% healthy. So go on and try it, especially if you have a lonely sleeve of rice cakes staring down at you from atop your fridge or stowed away in the cupboard. Enjoy with a tall glass of water.